Monday, January 10, 2011

Women in Red Hats

You may have heard of the Red Hat Society.  It's a nationwide organization of women of a certain age, who get together occasionally for fun events, wearing purple dresses and red hats.  The inspiration for the group comes from a poem called "Warning," the first lines of which are:

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple,
"With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me."

The poem goes on to detail other outrageous things the speaker will do when she gets old, though she now has to stay sane, raise the kids and pay the bills.  Someday, though, she will wear purple.

There are a few older women who come into the library who continually amaze and amuse me.  All are active, vibrant people who don't let much stop them.  There's Jo, who's always meticulously groomed, in casual but attractive, well-fitting clothes.  Her hair is always perfect, as is her makeup.  Jo does not suffer fools gladly.  She keeps fit by walking and by gardening, which seems to be her passion.  I want to be like Jo when I grow up, except that I don't garden.

And then there's Clara, who delights in telling me that she rose at 5 AM, got her house cleaned, and then prepared an enormous meal for two friends.  She details exactly what's in the meal, knowing full well that she's torturing me, since everything sounds so good.  Then, with the table set and ready at home, Clara will sit down to read the newspaper, and to make friends with whoever sits next to her.  I want to be like Clara when I grow up, except that I don't do housework.

Finally, there's Emily.  Emily likes watching complete seasons of TV shows on DVD's, the racier, the better.  She loves The Tudors, for example, and she considers the doctors in Nip/Tuck "yummy."  Once she was talking to another librarian about the movie The Reader, and about Kate Winslet.  Into a momentary hush in a busy afternoon, everyone heard her say, "But she [Winslet] always looks good without her clothes."  The woman I was waiting on, a young mother, looked at me, startled, while I burst out laughing.  I want to be like Emily when I grow up.  I already like yummy men.

All of these women are in their 80's.  They live independently, take care of themselves, keep up with their families and the world around them.   Of course they've had their share of troubles, but they don't seem to let much bring them down.  Instead they go on, cheerful, and maybe just a little outrageous.  They are living their lives as they see fit.

And they don't have to wear silly red hats, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment