Monday, February 21, 2011

The 150 Book Challenge

Several years ago, someone in an Internet group challenged herself to read 50 books.  That idea caught on with other people in her group.  Soon, the 50 Book Challenge became known far beyond this little Internet community, into the wider world of ordinary readers, including me.

I read a lot, and I read fast.  50 books in a year is nothing for me.  For the last 3 years I've challenged myself to read 150, which I have yet to do.  Still, I keep going.  This year I'll make it.

In addition to my own challenge, I'm also taking part in the New Bedford library's 50 Book Challenge, which was my idea.  It got amazing publicity, showing up in newspapers and TV stations all across the country, and on websites from as far away as China.  Well over 300 people have signed up for it.  In spite of TV and DVD's, in spite of computers, reading is holding its own.

So where am I today, Feb. 21?  I'm at 28 for the 50 Book Challenge, which started in December, and 25 in my own challenge.  I've had a few books I didn't finish, but there have also been a lot I really liked.  I'll probably have the 50 read during April, and I'm well on track to meet the 150 total.  Did I mention that I'm having fun?

It's not too late for people to read 50 books this year.  I'll bet a lot of you read more than that, anyway.  If you want to do it in an organized manner, and you live in SouthCoast Massachusetts, why not join the New Bedford library's challenge?  Check it out at the library's website, at http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Library/   Once you read 50 books you get a prize, and we're planning various get-togethers and author appearances.

So, what are you doing reading this blog?  Go pick up a book!  I'm going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment