Sunday, October 24, 2010

Their Royal Highnesses


We have had two new feline arrivals here at the Queendom. HRH Dimitri and HRH Alexandra have arrived. Dimitri (aka Dimka) is a long haired gray tiger, and Alexandra (Sasha) is black with a white chest and paws. HRM Puffy, Queen of the house, is still Not Amused, even after 2 weeks. She’s over her sulks, but she is taking these usurpers on sufferance. They harass her, take her food, and generally make her life difficult at times. Still, they are the nicest of kittens, and while the Palace is in a bit of an uproar, there is no doubt they’ve added life to it.

I’ve never before had 2 kittens at the same time. In fact, I didn’t plan on getting any. Puffy was quite enough. But then I saw Dimka’s picture and fell in love, and when I met him he fell in love with me. After a few days we decided that he must be lonely, and so Sasha came home. They are brother and sister, and act like it, with squabbles and fights. They’re also at the toddler stage, and like all babies, must be watched carefully to keep from getting into real mischief. All three cats follow me everywhere, including into some odd and private places. I’m scratched all over, especially on my chest, where they like to walk. Fortunately, I’m ample enough there! But then they both fall asleep on my lap, and my heart melts.

All right, I admit it. I’m turning into a cat lady. Not a crazy cat lady, not yet. By informal definition a cat lady must have at least 4 cats, be of a certain age, be single, and live alone. Being a librarian just adds to the nuttiness. While I don’t meet all of those criteria, I have to admit that I’m crazy about these kittens. Puffy is also coming in for her share of attention, taking up most of my bed at night, until I’ve had enough.

So Dimka (aka Dimka Do, DooBee, Doodle, and Dooley - hey, why not an Irish-Russian cat?) and Sasha (Sasha Too, or Tootles) have come to stay, and the real Queen of the Castle - me - couldn’t be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment